Saturday, July 05, 2008

Montreal 2008: Words and Pictures 6 - Say Hello to Mon Petit Ami (photo dedicated to Al Pacino)

I couldn't find the word dépanneur in my French phrase book (though dépanneuse is in there and it means "tow truck").

I've a pretty good hunch dépanneur translates roughly to something along the lines of "bodega" (for us New Yorkers) or "grocery store" or "convenience store" or whatever. Because that's what a dépanneur looked to be once I stepped inside: cigarettes, beers, chips, snacks, lottery tickets, etc.

I did not dare set foot in this one, labeled as it was as "Scarface". Hey, what can I tell you? The sight of a woozy proprietor snorting coke off of a baguette wasn't on my list of Montreal must-dos this time.

Maybe next year!

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger cowboyangel said...

I bought an old roll of 35 mm film in one. The last one on the shelf. Probably the last one forever.

It wasn't Scarface, though. Somehow we missed that.

11:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home