Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Montreal 2008: Words and Pictures 4 (photos dedicated to MsHellion)

A huge statue of Montreal Canadiens legend Maurice "The Rocket" Richard, that I somehow stumbled across downtown. I was actually looking for Montreal's Underground City which, it turns out, is pretty much a mall.

The weird part, though, is that I found this statue several floors above ground level. I got into an elevator after my disappointment with subterranean Montreal, and began looking for a big multiplex movie theater I knew to be in the vicinity. Upon alighting from said elevator I walked smack into The Rocket.

It's quite the impressive monument to a man who arguably defines Canadiens hockey: Richard was the first NHL player to score 50 goals, the first to score 50 goals in 50 games, and the first to reach the 500 career goal plateau.

I can't help but wonder about the oddball (read: disrespectful) location. I mean, shouldn't this be in a slightly more hallowed place than a mall? According to Wikipedia, it (or a statue that bears an eerily striking resemblance to it) resides in Jacques Cartier Park in Gatineau, Quebec.

Perhaps the statue is on loan, and maybe the mall is where the old Montreal Forum used to stand, who knows? Such an explanation would make me feel a little better.

I present his image and motto "Ne jamais abandonner" which translates to "Never give up" to MsHellion - friend, roller derby woman and never giver upper.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger MsAPhillips said...

The Real Reason Behind Five for Fighting


Repose-toi s'il le faut, mais n'abandonne surtout pas.




(Rest up if necessary, but certainly don't give up!)

12:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home