Sunday, June 08, 2008

The Frist

This is the only visual record of my recent trip to Nashville, Tennessee - snapped on a camera phone outside the Frist Center for the Visual Arts.

There was a terrific show, "From Monet to Dali," along with an exhibition of vintage Tiffany lamps. Corey was nice enough to scope out the Frist's hours, and upon discovering they were open late on Thursdays, she, Jackson, Mary and I made the jaunt.

I don't know about you, but I can't get enough of modern art, and the weirder the better. I was thrilled to see many paintings and sculptures by my favorite luminaries including Rodin, Braque, Picasso, Van Gogh, Mondrian and Magritte in addition to Monet and Dali.

A spectacular evening of fine art was followed by a cultural examination of Nashville's nether regions - a visit to the Waffle House. I ordered a combo composed of a cheese omelet, grits, sausage and toast that probably sheared five years off of my life by dint of the frightening amount butter troweled onto said toast.

That the establishment smacked of backstage at Springer was something of a shock to me; on the other hand, it didn't seem much different from where I grew up in New Jersey.

Corey and I attempted to offset the rough and ready ambiance by engaging in a world-class Scrabble match. Our participation in a game involving word play seemed to perplex the waitress at the counter who frequently let fly with a bit of down home philosophizing to no one in particular.

There is a joke that goes something like: "What has three titties and four teeth?" Answer: "A Waffle House waitress."

I understand.

(Photo by Corey Hasty)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home