Saturday, February 24, 2007

LEMON TREE Redux



Lemon tree, very pretty
And the lemon flower is sweet
But the fruit of the poor lemon
Is impossible to eat

recorded by Trini Lopez, 1965

(See this post for background regarding "Lemon Tree" as the basis for my life's trajectory, and download the song here!)

It took 42 years, but I finally have conclusive evidence that the lemon flower is indeed sweet.

Today we took the short drive to Wave Hill, and wandered around the historic grounds for a couple of hours.

It was a sparkling winter's day, with everything in crisp focus. Ice on the trails made for somewhat treacherous footing, but nothing we couldn't handle.

The day's highlight: seeing - and smelling - for the first time ever in my life, an actual lemon tree in one of the greenhouses! This particular tree was called the Ponderosa* lemon tree, and had lemons the size of grapefruits hanging from its branches.

It was one of those slow motion moments of destiny. I saw the lemon flowers sprinkled on the tree's branches, approached slowly with "...and the lemon flower is sweet" ricocheting around my noggin in Trini Lopez's mellifluous voice. Finally, I would find out for myself!

Could it be? Is it possible?!

Yes. YES! They are sweet. Very sweet.

And despite my more crotchety suspicions, so is life!

_________________

* Thanks to MsAPhillips for the link.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger MsAPhillips said...

Lovely surprise:
you dreamed,
now it's truly yours.

6:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

sometimes it takes a long time
for life to reveal what songs and paintings primed for. I don't think I encountered his version before, only PP&M.

9:39 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

You go along, you think you know a fair amount about music, and then - suddenly - someone's writing about Trini Lopez and "Lemon Tree." I've heard of Trini but never listened to him, and I don't know the song at all - any version of it. Though PP&M were spinning around on the turntable.

Great first post and follow-up.

9:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home