Sunday, August 07, 2005

Books purchased during The Incredulity Tour Tour (part dos)

City Lights Pocket Poetry Anthology edited by Lawrence Ferlinghetti
A Coney Island of the Mind by Lawrence Ferlinghetti
The Other Side of the Postcard edited by Devorah Major
The Rape of Nanking by Iris Chang
Satellite by Matthew Rohrer
The Stranger by Albert Camus
Sublimation Point by Jason Schneiderman

I'm embarrassed to admit I've never read Ferlinghetti before, but what better place to begin than in San Francisco? I am finding many of the poems in Coney Island achingly sad. I'm beginning to think I find most things achingly sad, though.

I recently read Matt Rohrer's A Green Light, which blew me away to such a degree that I immediately reread it two more times.

I heard Jason Schneiderman read from his book recently, on a double bill with Mark Bibbins.

The Stranger is one of my all-time favorite books, and I am always struck by its harrowing simplicity. This is about the fifth time I've read it.

I read a review of Iris Chang's account of the 1937 invasion of Nanking a while back, and it was the first book to catch my eye at City Lights.

Devorah Major's anthology is a collection that brings attention to the less glamorous side of San Francisco by various local poets.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home