Saturday, April 23, 2005

Creative Thesis Title Quandary

I have just about completed my MFA thesis, which is comprised of two parts:

1) The critical piece, an examination of the influence of haiku on modern short form poetry (done - awaiting sign-off from my advisor);

2) The creative piece, roughly 50 of my poems arranged in some sort of sensible sequence (not quite done). I will be arranging the order soon, and possibly swapping in a few newer poems to round the thing out.

The dilemma: what to entitle my creative manuscript?

Here are a few ideas running around in the old noggin:

The Incredulity Tour

On Spotless Authority

Poems About Death Are Really Poems About Love

There is Something to Be Said For Not Saying Something

Where Were You When the Rapture Didn't Happen?

Hell on Earth, Inc.

And, of course:

The Book of Lewd Enlightenment

Thoughts?

5 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Titling my creative thesis was one of the hardest parts for me! I kept a running list of titles for about a year, but when it came down to actually titling the collection, I took the advice of musician friends and looked for a poem title or part of a line that would work well as a title. I ended up using "The Gravity Soundtrack" (title of the now-first poem in the collection) and pulling little bits from lines to title each of the sections.

In my program, we completed our critical thesis a semester ahead of our creative thesis, so thankfully they did not have to pull together into one cohesively titled unit. My critical thesis was "The Shine on the Light Night Dial: Rock & Roll's Presence in Contemporary Poetry."

12:49 PM  
Blogger MsHellion said...

I like

poems about death are really poems about love

and

the book of lewd enlightenment.

1:26 PM  
Blogger gina said...

There's something to be said for not saying something

or

The Incredulity Tour

or

(and I didn't see this one listed)

No Fabulous!

8:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like "On Spotless Authority" and "The Book of Lewd Enlightenment." I know what you're going through, though. I've been dancing around titles all semester and I'm still not entirely convinced I've chosen one.

10:04 PM  
Anonymous help with thesis writing said...

As you are aware of the latest progress of internet specially the introduction of web 2.0 websites is an online revolution. I appreciate your work to provide such authentic material.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home