Thursday, April 21, 2005

I say!

I was pointed to this linguistics test by the good Dr. Chingasa. Good, clean, harmless fun - unless you are overly zealous about the region of the U.S. you inhabit, or find people who refer to soda as "pop" ridiculous.

I find the use of terms like "yankee" and "dixie" interesting. Why not just cut right to the chase and employ "dad-blamed city slicker" and "hayseed"? Or "Goodfellas" vs. "Deliverance folk"? The possibilities are endless.

I'm rather (not ruther) surprised to see that I only scored 45% General American English - I would have thought all those years of listening to my Wink Martindale diction tapes would have paid off somewhat more handsomely. Then again he was from Tennessee. Oh well....

I credit my 10% Dixie score to a life-long love of barbecue and the old National Wrestling Alliance (which would later morph into World Championship Wrestling).



Your Linguistic Profile:



45% General American English

45% Yankee

10% Dixie

0% Midwestern

0% Upper Midwestern


3 Comments:

Blogger MsHellion said...

I had the same score as The Dr. I think the terms "catty-corner" and "coke" - meaning all soda - is what got me.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Dr. Chingasa said...

Once you leave Louisville in a few months you'll be able to properly conjugate the following terms with ease, possibly raising your Dixie score:

Sumbitch
Galldangit
Sodee Water
Itellyouwhut
whichadidja

1:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is probably worth noting that the only person I've ever heard actually say the aforementioned terms is Dr. Chingasa, Texan Transplant Extraordinaire.

I don't think you conjugate nouns, but I'm afraid to ask of the circumstances in which "sumbitch" could be verbed.

1:10 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home