Saturday, April 02, 2005

A CAPTAIN AMERICA PEZ DISPENSER FLOATING IN BRAKE FLUID

Reminded me of a gun-metal grey voting booth, that
Made me think of the inertia of civil service, that reminded
Me of getting a marriage license, which inspired
Thoughts of committing suicide, that brought to mind
Prescription pills like the kind I took when I had my wisdom
Teeth pulled by a dentist reminiscent of Josef Mengele,
Who got me thinking about World War II, that had me
Recollecting World Championship Wrestling, and that
Brought Greco-Roman Wrestling to mind, then I remembered
"Ode on a Grecian Urn" and recalled how little I earned
Last year, then I thought about Last Year At Marienbad.
That made me realize how forgetful I have become—
I had forgotten how much I once admired Captain America.

* * *

I debuted this poem at Ozzie's Poetry Night last evening. The reaction was great, with much laughter and interest coming just from the title, and building steadily onward. Comparisons were made to Andres Serrano's "Piss Christ" (!), and a spirited discussion of Last Year at Marienbad was provoked.

Alexandra van de Kamp, who publishes the bilingual (English/Spanish) literary journal Terra Incognita with her husband William Glenn, seems keen on putting the poem in a forthcoming issue. Keep your fingers crossed!


Left: A Captain America Pez Dispenser Floating in Brake Fluid. Right: "Piss Christ" (Serrano, 1989).
                   

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home