Tuesday, February 22, 2005

Guilty pleasures or signs of encroaching dementia?

Songs currently loaded on my iPod (& in heavy rotation):

Mickey - Toni Basil (I like the organ, but this is strictly out of pity.)

Time to Change - The Brady Bunch (Actually features wah-wah guitar.)

Wango Tango - Ted Nugent (There is no explanation for Ted Nugent.)

Rose Garden - Lynn Anderson (Mainstream country when it was good.)

Shake Your Coconuts - Junior Senior ("'Til the nut comes out.")

Double Vision - Foreigner (See Ted Nugent, I guess.)

Viewer Mail Theme (from Late Night with David Letterman) - James Galway (Composed by Henry Mancini!)

Second Hand News - Fleetwood Mac (See Foreigner.)

Sweet Pea - Tommy Roe (Always have, always will love this song - check out the farfisa organ.)

Don't Dream it's Over - Crowded House (Hopelessly '80s.)

Every Time You Go Away - Paul Young (Even more hopelessly '80s.)

Mr. Big Stuff - Jean Knight (Horn arrangement totally rocks on this.)

Dancing With Myself - Billy Idol ("Your empty eyes seem to pass me by....")

Da Doo Ron Ron - The Crystals (Less is more, replete with honkin' sax break.)

Billy, Don't Be a Hero - Bo Donaldson & the Heywoods ("I heard she threw the letter away" - very cold sentiment for AM radio.)

Karma Chameleon - Culture Club (Harmonica + Boy George = rock & roll? Discuss.)

Born to Run - Bruce Springsteen (Best ever use of the glockenspiel.)

Lemon Tree - Trini Lopez ("And the lemon flower is sweet"; percussive 12-string guitar; love [life] is fleeting.)

God Save the Queen - Sex Pistols ("They made you a moron/ A potential H-Bomb." Genius.)

3 Comments:

Blogger gina said...

Re: God Save the Queen: Johnny Rotten was also probably the only person who could pull of rhyming anarchist with antichrist.

10:09 AM  
Blogger Dott Comments said...

I'm with you on the Sex Pistols, Billy Idol and Boy George but I'm having trouble understanding some of your entries here.

I want to hear more about why this music speaks to you.

9:43 PM  
Blogger Steve Caratzas said...

I'm not sure trying to understand me is the most productive use of one's time. That being said, I think the songs speak to me for various inconsistent reasons.

For instance, some of the tunes feature instrument parts that I tend to focus my attention on (the horns in "Mr. Big Stuff," the glockenspiel in "Born to Run"). "Rose Garden" employs mandolin, pedal steel guitar, string section, even a tambourine, and a huge, reverby Phil Spector sound.

In other cases, the songs trigger specific feelings ("Lemon Tree" and "Every Time You Go Away") or actual memories (the time I saw a busker singing "Second Hand News" in Boston).

Finally, I tend to appreciate trashy stuff as much as "good" art.

3:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home