Saturday, February 05, 2005

Cancel the fucking thing, already.

Few people these days are stupid enough to admit being a hockey fan, but, hell - I'm that stupid.

The hopelessly absurd situation that passes for reality here is a five-month long lockout that is completely off the radar of the majority of human beings currently living. Oh wait, that was the state of hockey to begin with. My bad!

The fact is, few people give a shit about hockey when it's being played; even fewer have noticed that there is no hockey currently being played; hardly anyone cares if it is ever played again.

And that leaves morons like me wondering why I have allowed myself to feel so marginalized by loving a sport that has become a total joke. Yes, folks, it's right up there with tiddlywinks.

Every day I hit the sports pages online desperate for news of substance. I don't even care if it's positive at this juncture - I'm pretty much fed up to the point that I just wish the NHL would grow a pair of balls and cancel the entire fucking season.

Let hockey descend further into asininity by becoming the first major (ha!) North American sport to lose an entire season due to a labor dispute. Hell yes, bring on the cancellation!

Reports that there could still be a "meaningful" season of 20-30 games, followed by a full four rounds of playoffs are an insult to anyone who: a) knows how to count, and b) knows that the eventual Stanley Cup winner will have that dreaded asterisk in the record book (i.e.: "lockout-shortened season" [i.e. "doesn't count"]). Meaningful, my ass.

The time has come to call it a day. Cancel the fucking thing, already. I'm begging you.

1 Comments:

Blogger gina said...

When I was in Michigan in December I ran into an old friend from high school who also happens to be one of the biggest hockey fans I know. We already had given up on a resolution to this year's lock-out, and he said, "Let me be the first to proclaim: Red Wings in 2006."

4:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home