Thursday, August 16, 2007

R.I.P.

Via Ron Silliman's blog, the sad news that poet Liam Rector is dead.

I studied with Liam during my MFA program at The New School. He was a great workshop leader who imparted some of the best advice I have ever gotten about the art of writing - and revising - poetry.

His verbosity was frustrating to those who didn't "get" him, and given his druthers he would follow a tangent to frequently odd and endless lengths.

Yet his soliloquies often led to unexpectedly rich places: the way he told the story of Ezra Pound calling on William Butler Yeats while wearing green pants made from pool table felt was both priceless and revelatory.

I posted this back in August of 2005:

What does
A poem say?
My heart aches.

* * *

For Liam Rector

Labels:

3 Comments:

Blogger Erin said...

I'm sorry for your loss, Steve.

10:52 AM  
Blogger MsAPhillips said...

What if I had left you mid-ocean
To sail alone?


From Liam Rector's poem, Best Friend

11:31 AM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

This news totally sucked. Alexandra read with him once at a not particularly pleasant event, and she still remembers how cool he was to her. She was very upset about the news.

I didn't know you had studied with him.

3:53 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home