Tuesday, January 02, 2007

CHILDREN OF MEN (WHO WEAR FRIGHT WIGS)

It took until the final day of the year for me to see what I believe is the finest film of 2006: Children of Men.

Don't let the sci-fi element fool you. Though it takes place in 2027 in a deteriorating Orwellian world where women can no longer become pregnant, this is a terrific movie with a frighteningly apt message for the totally fucked up times in which we live.

I suppose the film's power might not be quite so staggering if we were not currently embroiled in a pointless war led by a neo-fascist regime of bloodsucking ghouls. (Was that out loud?) Regardless, I can't recall seeing another film that seemed so complete all year long.

And yes, even Michael Caine, with Grandmama Addams hair, delivers the goods. I admit I was skeptical when I first started seeing trailers ("Woy do you fink women can't have babies no more?"). But this movie is the real deal. Highly recommended.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dott Comments said...

Adding this to my "must see" list immediately.

12:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home