Sunday, November 05, 2006

What would life be like if it never changed? Installment 2

More thoughts on my Top Ten Life-Changing Albums. Thanks to Eek for beginning the thread that led me to this list.

(Note: Italics indicate my initial response to Eek's challenge; the rest constitutes my further thoughts on the subject).

2. Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, The Flaming Lips. Hearing “Do You Realize” for the first time was a devastating moment in time for me, nearly religious in its significance. Then “Fight Test” took me one step further. The entire album still amazes.

I first encountered The Flaming Lips on Jimmy Kimmel Live. My hypnagogic state was exacerbated by the oddity of their performance: balloons and beachballs bouncing on the stage, the drummer (I believe) dressed in a rabbit costume, and a song with utterly arresting and genuinely profound lyrics:

Do you realize that you have the most beautiful face?
Do you realize we're floating in space?
Do you realize that happiness makes you cry?
Do you realize that everyone you know someday will die?

After my world-class panic attack subsided (Holy shit! We're all gonna die!), I was enthralled by the sheer beauty of the tune. I downloaded the album from whence "Do You Realize" originated, Yoshimi Battles the Pink Robots, and was delighted to discover it is one of those increasingly rare gems, an entire suite of great songs.

The opener "Fight Test", may actually eclipse "Do You Realize" on the profundity scale:

And I don't know how a man decides
What's right for his own life
It's all a mystery

Is it a song about lacking the courage to fight for your convictions, or the girl of your dreams?

Yes.

The beauty part of the whole situation? This all happened just a couple of years ago. I haven't quite ossified, contrary to all outward appearances!

3 Comments:

Blogger steakbellie said...

I need to hear this

3:06 PM  
Blogger cowboyangel said...

Like the series of albums... Definitely have to look for this one.

5:07 PM  
Blogger steakbellie said...

wow
thankyou
it's on heavy ipod rotation, i cant believe i didnt know about this album....

9:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home