Friday, July 14, 2006

Got Oxygen?

Is the question one of the snappier tourist t-shirts here asks. So far, no ill effects from being exactly one mile (5,280 feet!) above sea level.

I'm drinking tons of liquids, however, to counteract the insidiously sneaky hot-but-not-humid weather. At least when experiencing a downtown Saigon sweat-fest one is aware of impending dehydration; not so in Denver.

Traveled out here on Jet Blue, my first excursion on one of their planes. They really have taken the pain out of air travel. The boarding pass experience was a revelation, with free-standing 2001: A Space Odyssey-inspired kiosks replacing irritable humans. And no wailing infants or misbehaving tykes kicking the back of my seat for the entire flight, either.

On in-flight television I watched a rerun of ESPN's coverage of Nathan's July 4th Hot Dog Eating Contest from Coney Island. Which made me misty-eyed for New York as I sped away from it, but also had me thinking about Steakbellie, blogdom's own competitive eater.

I chewed my Jet Blue cashews very thoroughly in response.

2 Comments:

Blogger Dott Comments said...

I experienced a feeling of euphoria in Denver ... not unlike coming down from a pleasant high. I cared not one whit about anything. Emotions were ... gone, dude.

Also, I was sleepy and not at all hungry the whole time.

And, oh yeah, I had to pee a lot because of all the water I drank.

12:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You just infinitely multiplied my knowledge of the place.

1:26 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home